× Search


Tauranga's boundaries are in a controlled airspace. This means that if you want to fly anything in that airspace, you need permission from air traffic control.

In addition, Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) defines four-kilometre zones around all aerodromes, where the use of the airspace is further restricted. In our case: one around the airport, and one around the hospital’s helipad. In these zones, you need to have a pilot licence (or to be accompanied by someone who does) in addition to having permission from air traffic control.

To obtain authorisation from air traffic control, register and log your flights on the Airshare UAV hub. The hub also provides a wealth of other information on how to operate a drone safely and within New Zealand Civil Aviation rules.

Thanks for your cooperation, which allows us to operate our airport safely and efficiently.

Back To Top